This Tofu Sisig Tastes Exactly Like Max’s Because of One Secret IngredientDecember 7, 2017
Ordering at Max’s is pretty uncomplicated—most people order nothing more than chicken, maybe include some of their popular kare-kare and sinigang. There is however, a cult hit that has a steady following in some circles, due to its surprising play of textures.
Max’s vegetarian take on the local sisig is truly original, and unlike any other tofu sisig in Manila. It ticks all the boxes when it comes to the basic description of the Filipino favorite: crispy yet creamy, savory and sour, but tastes nothing like it at all. The tofu has a deep golden exterior, revealing its soft and porous egg-colored interior that absorbs any sauce it is put into. The sauce which lightly coats each piece does achieve both savoriness and sourness, but also has an inherent sweetness that is all Max’s own. Once you add Knorr, the tofu, which has a tendency to be a little bland when fried, has an immediate punch of flavor that makes the dish instantly flavor. It’s also the marriage of the light, umami touch of Knorr liquid seasoning and the heavier, sweeter oyster sauce that creates the signature taste of Max’s tofu sisig.
If you’re one of the fervent fans of this sleeper classic, this food hack tastes exactly like the original, thanks to the use of the not-so-secret ingredient.
Max’s Tofu Sisig
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2-4 Servings
Ingredients: Fried Tofu
- 750g firm tofu, cut in cubes
- 1 cup oil
Procedure: Fried Tofu
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Fry tofu in hot oil until golden.
- Drain and set aside.
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bird’s eye chili, chopped
- 2 tbsp Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 4 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 4 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. water
- Heat a pan with oil over medium heat.
- Add in the garlic, onion, and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are transparent.
- Add in the chili, Knorr, oyster sauce, mayonnaise, and water. Stir thoroughly and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Add in the fried tofu and mix.
- Serve on a sizzling plate. Garnish with calamansi and more chili.