Bacon is a blessing from the heavens. Wrap it, roll it, stuff it, fry it, bake it, roast it—no matter what you do with it, it will always gleam of pork perfection.
This faux “Japanese” dish will change the way you eat authentic sushi…forever! Replacing the thin Nori wrapper with fatty strips of bacon does violate the sushi law, but who the heck cares? This tasty treat serves as a meal in itself—especially for voracious rice eaters such as you and me.
We stuffed these bacon bites with various sushi combinations such as tamago & enoki, asparagus & cream cheese, and crabstick & cucumber. Actually, you can just let your imagination go wild and stuff it with practically anything. In this case, we chose ingredients that wouldn’t overpower the smoky bacon flavor, but enhance it even more.
On a personal note, I like adding a huge dollop of Japanese mayonnaise on my bacon sushi before I bite into it. The creamy eggy goodness with the meaty sushi makes me forget how many calories each piece contains. Perhaps a gazillion, but I refuse to think about it.
Instead of viewing at it as a mundane strip of processed pork whatever, bacon will be your beacon of hope. Try wrapping bacon in everything you eat, and pretty soon, you’ll start to seeing things in a different light. But if you start seeing an unfamiliar brightness clouding your brain, better put your fork down. That’s the cholesterol creeping up on you.
Total Time: 45 minutes / Yield: 2-3 servings
Ingredients for the Bacon Sushi
- 1 kg bacon, good quality
- Blanched asparagus
- Cream cheese
- Cucumber strips
- Enoki mushrooms, washed
- Roasted tamago strips (see recipe below)
Ingredients for the Roasted Tamago
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp mirin
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
Ingredients for the Sushi Rice
- 2 cups Japanese rice grains
- 2 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Del Monte vinegar (or Japanese Vinegar)
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Procedure for Sushi Rice
- Measure rice and water in rice cooker.
- Leave rice grains in water for 20 minutes. Cook until done.
- While waiting for the rice, boil together vinegar, sugar, mirin and salt until melted.
- Mix vinegar mixture into cooked rice while still warm. Set aside to cool.
Procedure for Roasted Tamago
- Whisk all ingredients together.
- Heat a non stick pan and put a teaspoon of oil.
- Cook egg like an omelet without filling, toast one side and then flip.
- Cool and slice into strips.
Procedure for Bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a foiled tray, arrange bacon strips side by side forming a paper of bacon strips.
- Top with another foil and secure bacon by putting another tray on.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until browned but still bendable – soft enough to roll.
- Cool and use for sushi making.
- On one side of bacon sheet, push in a cup of sushi rice. Arrange asparagus and cream cheese, roll firmly. Slice.
- On one side of bacon sheet, push in a cup of sushi rice. Arrange crabsticks and cucumber strips, roll firmly. Slice.
- On one side of bacon sheet, push in a cup of sushi rice. Arrange enoki and tamago strips, roll firmly. Slice.
- Top off with Japanese mayonnaise, if desired.