Creating a gourmet sandwich is a no-brainer. It doesn’t require special cooking skills, exotic ingredients or a sophisticated sounding name.
The secret to gourmet-ing a meal is to smack some fruits somewhere inside and pick out other ingredients that sound way more kick-ass than it actually is.
In fact, you could buy yourself a Double-Down from KFC, stuff it with plums and place it on top of a huge, shiny white plate and you can probably sell it for over P400.00 in some overpriced restaurant in Fort Bonifacio.
But as much as we love to mock fruity dishes, we actually like them! Fresh, juicy fruits are always a good contrast to dry meats in sandwiches.
So, is it good? Well, try it yourself!
Gourmet Style Chicken Sandwich with Arugula, Grapes and Balsalmic Cream
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 pcs skinless chicken breast
- salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 pc egg, beaten
- oil for frying
- 2 pcs ciabatta bread
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Make balsamic spread and place in the chiller until ready to use.
- Clean and pat dry chicken breast. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange breading station: bowl 1 for flour, bowl 2 for egg and bowl 3 for breadcrumbs.
- Dust chicken with flour, dip in egg and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Repeat for the other chicken breast.
- Heat 1 inch oil in a pan.
- When oil is ready for frying, fry chicken breasts 2-3 minutes on each side depending on the thickness.
- Drain in paper towels and set aside.
- Flatten grapes with your palm.
- Toast bread until browned.
- Cut in half and spread with balsamic cream on both sides.
- Layer down chicken, grapes and arugula.
- Top with the other bread. Cut in half and serve.