Two days ago, we chopped off Erwan Heussaff’s head with a blade made out of bacon.
To those who are well versed in the art of sarcasm, you obviously know that this whole thing was a ruse. To those who went ballistic and took it a little bit too personally, then you must be one of three: (1) a true fan of Erwan Heussaff, (2) a true hater of Pepper.ph or (3) a bacon-deprived individual. We sincerely hope that you’re just either one or three.
Now, here’s what we really wanna do.
Since Pepper.ph and Erwan’s The Fat Kid Inside sit on opposite poles of the health chain (as his blog focuses on mostly healthy food), we wondered, “Wouldn’t it be cool if we could find a way to do something great with what we both do?” So, what we decided on was to create an enemy of The Fat Kid Inside here in Pepper.ph aptly called, The Fat Kid Outside.
Since we still don’t have an original logo for that guy, here’s someone who can temporarily fill the role.
In this segment, we’ll be transforming The Fat Kid Inside’s healthy dishes into downright dirty, greasy and guilt-inducing creations using similar ingredients. For today, we decided to morph Erwan’s Non-Fried Fried Chicken Pillows with Yellow Squash and Zucchini “Pasta” into a deadly beast—Butter-Fried Oatmeal-Breaded Chicken with Zucchini Cream & Pesto on Pumpkin Mash.
That was a mouthful.
Since Erwan was such a sport for letting us chop his head, we’ll leave him with a gift that he’ll hopefully consume as recommended.
Butter-Fried Oatmeal-Breaded Chicken with Zucchini Cream & Pesto on Pumpkin Mash
Yield: 2 servings
Ingredients for the Chicken
- 2 cups chicken thigh fillet
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp chicken powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp cream
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1-2 cups oatmeal, for dredging
- 1/2 cup butter for frying
Ingredients for the Zucchini Cream Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini cubes
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 pc chicken cube
Ingredients for the Pumpkin Mash
- 3 cups cubed pumpkin
- enought water to cover
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
Ingredients for the Pesto
- 2 tbsp almonds
- 1/2 cup basil
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
Procedure for the Chicken
- Marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat pan and melt butter.
- Dredge chicken pieces in oatmeal.
- Pan fry in batches, 3-4 minutes on each side.
Procedure for the Zucchini Cream Sauce
- Boil cream and zucchini together for 2 minutes.
- Season with chicken cube.
- Puree until well blended.
- Set aside.
Procedure for the Pumpkin Mash
- Boil pumpkin until tender. Drain water.
- Mash with butter, cream and seasonings while warm.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Set aside.
Procedure for the Pesto
- Pound all ingredients together using a mortar and pestle.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Put a heaping spoon of pumpkin mash on plate.
- Top with chicken pieces.
- Drizzle with zucchini cream.
- Top with pesto.
- Serve warm.