These Stuffed Chicken Pillows are like little gourmet chicken empanadas. The cheesy filling paired with the arugula pesto and shredded Bounty Fresh chicken breasts are a treat to have when you feel hunger pangs invading your belly.
This dish is best prepared ahead. They’re great as either the main course in your office lunchbox or as a quick snack whenever you want. The arugula pesto is made with cashew nuts, giving it a roasted, smoky taste that blends well with the cheese. The water chestnuts add a soft, crunchy bite for a whole other layer of texture. We packed the stuffing into some buttery puff pastry as we felt this combination works best with the yummy chicken creaminess within.
Like Bounty Fresh on Facebook and follow Bounty Fresh on Twitter and on Instagram. Check out more of Bounty Fresh’s recipes in their Chicken Dish Collection.
Stuffed Chicken Pillows with Cream Cheese and Arugula Pesto
Total Time: 60 minutes / Yield: 8 servings
Ingredients for the Chicken
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 3-4 Bounty Fresh boneless chicken breasts, poached and shredded
- 5 pieces water chestnuts, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Quickmelt cheese
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 2 375-gram pack frozen puff pastry blocks, thawed and cut to 4×4-inch squares (makes around 8 per pack)
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Instant gravy
Ingredients for the Arugula Pesto
- 2 cups arugula leaves, blanched and squeezed dry
- ½ cup roasted cashew nuts
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ to 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- To make the pesto, blend arugula, cashew and garlic in a processor, while drizzling in olive oil. Season to taste. Transfer to a container.
- In a bowl, place 3 tablespoons of pesto, cream cheese, chicken, chestnuts and grated cheese and mix until well combined. Season and set aside.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons chicken mixture in the middle of a cut up puff pastry. Fold the dough corners to the center and over the chicken mixture forming a pillow, making sure there are no openings. Do the same with the rest.
- Dip each pillow in melted butter. Roll on breadcrumbs and shake excess crumbs. Place chicken pillow on lined sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until light brown.
- As the pillows bake, prepare the gravy by following the instructions on the package.
- Serve warm with gravy on the side.