Risotto Nero with Squid, Shrimp and Asparagus
- 5 small squid
- 4 large (12-16 ct) shrimp
- 6 medium asparagus stalks
- 1 ½ cups Arborio or short grain rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken or seafood stock (fresh or sodium free packaged stock)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 packets squid ink concentrate
- 5-7 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
Procedure for Asparagus
- Prepare a mixing bowl with ice water for an ice bath.
- Place a medium sauce pot with salted water on high heat and bring to boil.
- Cut fibrous portion from asparagus stalks and discard.
- Cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces and add to boiling water.
- Boil just until barely tender and quickly strain and plunge into ice bath.
- Once cooled remove the asparagus and set aside.
Procedure for Shrimps and Squid
- Prepare your squid by peeling off the skin and cleaning out the head cavity.
- Rinse and cut into rings and tentacles.
- Peel shrimp and remove veins from back. In the same sauce pot add your stock, fresh thyme and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
- Quickly poach squid in the stock until it is just cooked.
- Then poach shrimp just until the shrimp curls and turns opaque.
Procedure for Risotto
- In a large sauté pan add olive oil, onions and garlic on medium heat.
- Cook until onions are soft then add rice.
- Cook the rice, stirring constantly until the rice becomes opaque.
- Add squid ink and stir.
- If the stock begins to run out, just add water and bring to a simmer.
- Then add white wine and cook until the smell of alcohol is gone.
- Add your hot stock, one ladle at a time until the rice is just covered with liquid.
- Simmer until the liquid begins to dry up, stirring constantly.
- Repeat until the rice is beginning to soften but still al dente.
Procedure for Assembly
- Finish by adding butter and stirring in.
- Season and correct the consistency with extra stock if needed.
- Add the seafood and asparagus to the simmering stock just until hot.
- Spoon the risotto into a pasta bowl and garnish with seafood and asparagus