Spinach is terrific, but for most people, it’s not as good as Popeye thinks it is.
He loves the stuff so much that he gulps it straight from the can like it’s Coca-cola. And that’s just disgusting.
For most of us who aren’t hardcore diet-watchers, spinach might be a bit too plain; so we greased it up a bit for you in a classic reinvention of an old recipe, the Spinach Artichoke Dip.
It’s as healthy and delicious as spinach, only with a few hundred more unnecesary and deadly calories from cheese and butter.
But who cares? Not all of us need a can of raw spinach to save an Olive from a marauding Bluto.
Diet-Killing Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Dip
Yield: 2-3 servings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt pinch of pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup blanched spinach chopped
- 2 pcs artichoke canned
- Crostini for serving
- Chop artichoke and mix with spinach. Put in a container.
- In a non stick pan, melt butter, then add flour and mix until it bubbles.
- Slowly add milk while mixing continuously.
- Season with salt and papper.
- Add in spinach-artichoke mixture and parmesan.
- Let dish simmer for 30 seconds. Adjust seasoning and consistency if needed.
- Divide into 3 oven-safe containers and top with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese has browned and melted.
- To reheat, just put in the oven toaster for 5 minutes. If mixture gets too thick, just add a little more milk.