The Pepper Guide to Simbang Gabi Breakfast #3: Chocolate Glazed BeignetsDecember 18, 2015
I once spent a whole day eating donuts. I ate a dozen of them, 11 more than recommended by any dietary professional, and I don’t regret a thing. In fact, I would argue that the fried, yeasted, and fluffy things are the most perfect food ever created. If I did enough good on this earth to end up in heaven, I’d be willing to bet that angels’ halos are actually made of shiny golden rings of fried dough.
I’m not sure if I’m 21 or still five, but when I roll out of bed for a way-too-early class, hair unbrushed and still in my pajamas, the only thing that gets me through the day are chocolate glazed donuts with rainbow sprinkles. Sticky and sweet, add in a large iced coffee (and another donut or two) and I am good to go.
Chocolate Dipped Beignets with Sprinkles
Greasy convenience store donuts are turned into refined beignets, with a dark, bitter chocolate coating instead of intensely sweet cocoa.
Yield: 6 Servings
Time: 2 1/2 Hours (1 1/2 hours resting)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsps instant yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 6 cups flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- oil, for frying
- sprinkles, for garnish (optional)
Ingredients: Chocolate Sauce
- 2/3 cup cocoa, unsweetened
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- Combine the dry ingredients into an electric mixing bowl, with the dough hook attached. Mix on low until thoroughly combined.
- In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Pour into the dry mixture. Knead on low for 8-10 minutes, or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
Seam side down; allow the dough to rest in a warm draft-free place for about an hour (You can put it on top of the fridge, or in the oven with just the light turned on).
- Punch down the dough and roll it to about ½ an inch in thickness. Cut rectangles with a dough cutter and allow it to rise for 15 minutes more.
Prepare a large pan with oil heated to 350°F.
- Fry the beignets until golden on both sides. Serve dipped in chocolate sauce and sprinkles.
Procedure: Chocolate Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients into a medium saucepan. Whisk over low-medium heat until the mixture thickens, about 10-15 minutes or until the desired consistency is reached.