What do you if you plan to make lasagna, but run out of pasta?
You use potatoes, of course.
Or better yet, scrap the entire pasta idea and replace those sheets of processed carbohydrate with these unearthed tubers that not only add a firmer bite, but also add to the versatility of the dish, making it enjoyable as either an appetizer or a main course.
This recipe for potato lasagna follows the procedure of a traditional lasagna tray. Layer, Spread, Bake. The crucial factor to this dish, aside from the temperature and other technicalities, is the seasoning of the meat sauce and the amount of Béchamel used. The meat sauce should be savory enough to penetrate through the bland potato slices and counter the creaminess of the Béchamel, giving you the right amount of flavor in every bite that’s not overly salty or milky.
Once the top layer has been baked to a perfect golden brown, don’t expect a neat square of potato just like the pasta kind. You can toss that idea out the window. Rather, expect a sloppy, cheesy, gooey, tomato-ey mess that’s every single thing a comfort food should be.
Pot Luck Potato Lasagna
Total Time: 90 minutes / Yield: 8-10 servings
Ingredients for the Potato Lasagna
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- Béchamel sauce (see recipe below)
- Meat sauce (see recipe below)
- Parmesan cheese, for topping
- 10-12 basil leaves, for topping
Ingredients for the Béchamel Sauce
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Ingredients for the Meat Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 pc onion, chopped
- 1/2 kg ground beef
- 1 big can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 10 basil leaves, sliced
Procedure for the Potatoes
- Boil potato slices until halfway cooked.
- Drain well.
Procedure for the Béchamel Sauce
- Melt butter in pan and add in flour.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Mix together water and milk.
- Slowly pour in milk mixture into the pan while whisking constantly.
- Wait for it to boil.
- Season with salt sugar and nutmeg and mix well.
- Adjust seasoning and set aside.
Procedure for the Meat Sauce
- Sauté garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Add in beef and cook until the beef turns into a different color.
- Add in crushed tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Season with salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Boil for 5-10 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Check seasonings.
- Add in basil leaves, mix, and turn off fire at once.
- Put some meat sauce on the dish.
- Arrange 1/3 of the potato slices or just until covered.
- Top with meat sauce and grated mozzarella.
- Put another layer of potato slices.
- Top with meat sauce, béchamel ,and cheese.
- Top with another layer of meat sauce, béchamel, and cheese.
- Arrange another layer of potato slices.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated 375 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and top is browned.