Pizza Week: Let’s All Drool Over Perry & Ria Jocson’s Vanilla-Margherita PizzaNovember 29, 2012
- Mikka WeeWords
Perry & Ria Jocson are the sweet-toothed sweethearts behind the Vanilla Company. Their initial pizza idea demanded a conyo-sounding Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream, which we had no idea where to source. I hope they don’t mind that we used grocery-bought Vanilla ice cream instead.
Given their obvious adoration for dessert, Perry tells me that this pizza idea was fashioned out of his love for pure vanilla, ice cream, cheese, bread, and other exotic combinations such as mint, paprika, and a dash of extra virgin olive oil.
Christened as the Margherita Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream Pizza (dash courtesy of us, sorry Perry), this decadent pizza is every Vanilla-lover’s dream come true. After spreading some vanilla ice cream on a puff pastry, we torched mozzarella slices, strawberries, and fresh mint leaves and scattered them on top. We were a bit iffy with the paprika and EVOO, but to our surprise, the heat from the spice leveraged the flavor of the entire dish.
The Jocsons’ favorite food is simple: “anything and everything that’s grilled/barbecued,” Perry tells us. When we talked about pizza, the couple got more specific with sharing their love for the Sardinia & Marherita thin crust pizzas in Bellini’s, Cubao X.
If they’re not out picking the best vanilla beans to sell, the Jocsons spend a good amount of time food tripping and travelling. And if you live in Manila and love vanilla, you can check out their website www.TheVanillaCo.com for all your vanilla-related needs such as vanilla beans, vanilla extract, and anything vanilla-y.
Perry & Ria Jocson’s Margherita Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream Pizza
Total Time: 20 minutes / Yield: 2-3 servings
- 1 sheet puff pastry (we got ours from Säntis)
- 3 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 4 pcs strawberries
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- Mint, for garnish
- A pinch of paprika
- Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Bake puff pastry in the oven as directed in package. When golden brown, remove from oven and cool for a bit.
- Brush mozzarella slices with olive oil and torch until browned.
- Flatten crust a little and spread ice cream all over; leave the edges clean.
- Top with torched mozzarella, strawberries, and mint leaves.
- Add dash of paprika and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.