How Do You Like Your Soda?: Deep-Fried Coca-Cola
Okay. Before you make any assumptions on how this Deep Fried Coca-Cola was formed, let me tell you how this dish works: we made our own cola syrup (without using actual Coke!) and drizzled this sticky concoction on top of some freshly deep-fried funnel cakes. Perfect for every sweet-tooth craving for a sugar fix.
With the holidays creeping around the corner, it won’t be long til the Yuletide settles in. This gives you license to indulge in devilish desserts. I think we should all start now by whipping up a batch of these sugar-filled treats. You’ll be up way past your bedtime, and hopefully, you’ll remember to save some for Santa.
- 1 1/2 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 slices ginger
- 1 petal star anise
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 bark cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup coke
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Oil for deep frying
Procedure for the Cola Syrup
- Boil together all ingredients until syrupy, about 20 minutes.
- Set aside, but make sure to keep warm to prevent from solidifying.
Procedure for the Funnel Cake
- Heat oil in a 3 inch deep pan. While waiting for this, make batter.
- In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients and set aside. whisk together egg and coke in another bowl.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour egg coke mixture.
- Mix until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour in a squeeze bottle with a big hole or in a piping bag.
- When oil is medium hot, swirl batter around.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes on both sides or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with cola syrup.