When you’re in the mall and contemplating where to eat, the familiar sign of Recipes catches your eye. Within a few seconds, you find yourself seated on one of their comfy seats, ready to wolf down a serving of their signature General’s Chicken.
We’re not sure if got it completely right, but we’re sure that it tasted right and awarded it with a 95% hackurracy rating. The base of the glaze sheds the spotlight on the glorious combination of hoisin sauce and rice wine vinegar. The acidity of the vinegar balances out the rich, savory flavor of the hoisin, giving it that salty-tangy flavor to the chicken. It also provides a sticky contrast to the deep-fried crunchy chicken bites.
This genius of a chicken recipe is something people come back (and crave) for. So what if you ate two cups of rice? It was soo worth it, right? And as the Asian flavors linger in your mouth, you can’t help but wonder when you’ll come back to Recipes for another serving. Probably tomorrow…
…or maybe when you get home.
Because today, we’re giving you the recipe for Recipes’s General’s Chicken. And guess what? It’s right below.
Total Time: 30 minutes / Yield: 1-2 servings
Ingredients for the General’s Chicken
- 500 grams thigh fillet, cut into cubes (1.5”x1.5”)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cornstarch, for dredging
- Broccoli florets, blanched
- Steamed rice
Ingredients for the General’s Chicken Glaze
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp hoisin
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
Procedure for the Glaze
- Heat oil and sauté ginger for 1 minute.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Boil for 1 minute. Thicken with slurry (combine cornstarch and water).
- Add slurry in a steady stream while mixing continuously.
- Set aside.
Procedure for the General’s Chicken
- Prepare chicken fillets.
- Marinate in soy sauce for 10 minutes. Add egg.
- Dredge each chicken fillet in cornstarch.
- Deep fry for 5-6 minutes or until cooked and light brown.
- Drain in paper towels.
- Heat a pan and pour 2-3 tbsp of glaze.
- Toss in 8-10 pieces of fried chicken fillets.
- Toss on fire for 1 minute so that the glaze sticks to the chicken.
- Top on steamed rice, and put some broccoli on the side.