Food Hack: BonChon’s Soy Garlic ChickenDecember 9, 2016
Article and recipe originally published on June 25, 2013. We’re republishing this post because we added a video.
Korean double-fried chicken has been (and still is, actually) a popular food trend here in the Philippines. Its widespread availability has converted a lot of fast-food junkies into happy chicken campers in search of that “different” kind of crunch (with that crazy good chicken skin in tow).
Generously shared with us by Sandara Park’s kin, Korean fried chicken is so good that there are days when I just find myself craving for its greasy, oily, crunchy, salty-sweet goodness. Unfortunately, for anyone stuck at home or at the office, having it delivered runs the risk of unduly affecting its crispness, temperature, and the overall double-fried chicken experience.
To remedy this fried chicken tragedy, we at Pepper.ph attempted to recreate the Soy-Garlic Wings of none other than the Korean fried chicken place that started it all, BonChon! Using wings from Bounty Fresh, we fried these babies twice to get that signature crunch, and generously basted it with our very own Soy-Garlic marinade.
Food Hack: BonChon Soy Garlic Chicken Wings
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 20 minutes
INGREDIENTS: DOUBLE-FRIED CHICKEN
- ½ kilo Bounty Fresh chicken wings
- salt and pepper, to season
- 2 cups cornstarch
INGREDIENTS: SOY-GARLIC GLAZE
- ¼ small onion, shredded
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup light soy sauce
- ¼ cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1-inch ginger, peeled and shredded
- white sesame seeds, for garnish
- Pat dry chicken wings. Season then dredge chicken in cornstarch. Deep fry until cooked all the way through. Place on paper towel to drain excess oil and allow to dry.
- To make soy-garlic glaze, combine onion, garlic, soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, garlic powder and ginger in a saucepan. Place over low-medium heat and stir until sugar is fully dissolved. In a small bowl, place cornstarch and a tablespoon of the soy-garlic mixture. Mix to dissolve. Add to the saucepan and stir until slightly thickened.
- Flash fry chicken in hot oil. Place on paper towel to drain excess oil. Toss chicken wings in glaze. Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.