A New Way to Snack on Cornicks: Have It As a Salad with Cilantro DressingDecember 29, 2014
I had a roommate once who would come home with a bag of chips and call it her dinner. In theory, it makes sense. It may not be the healthiest, with nutrients lost as it goes through the wringer of being processed, pressed and dried out; but if it works as a snack, why not as a dish? The team met the challenge by mixing a beloved local snack, cornick, into a salad.
As a fun little fact, cornick is enjoyed as corn nuts by a number of South American countries. The snack is made out of fried and dehydrated corn kernels, and is often dusted with Mexican and Mexican-American flavors such as lime, chili, and barbecue. What comes together in this dish is a more exciting salad with varying textures. There’s the crunch of the cornick contrasted with the freshness of the vegetables, married together by the light and zesty homemade sour cream dressing using NESTLÉ All Purpose Cream.
When served and enjoyed, this irreverent dish will get the conversation going among friends and guests. You’ll also finally get to silence the distant echoes of nagging from moms and yayas past over your poor eating habits. After all, it’s a salad, it’s good for you.
Cornicks Mexican Salad with Cilantro Sour Cream Dressing
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients: Cornicks Mexican Salad
- 1 pc cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded & sliced
- 1 pc red onion, chopped
- 6 pcs tomatoes, cubed
- 3/4 cup canned black beans
- 3/4 cup cornicks
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
Ingredients: Cilantro Sour Cream Dressing
- 1 pack NESTLÉ All Purpose Cream 250ml
- 2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
Procedure: Cornicks Mexican Salad with Cilantro Sour Cream Dressing
- Mix all ingredients of the dressing until well combined. Set aside in the chiller until ready to use.
- In a bowl, toss together cucumber, red onion, tomatoes, beans and cilantro. Transfer in a serving bowl.
- Pour cornicks around the salad. Top with a dollop of cilantro sour cream dressing. Serve immediately.