Cook This: Stuff your Holiday Leftovers into a Lumpia StrudelJanuary 11, 2017
Several things cause distress after the holidays: weight gained, missed gym sessions, and holiday leftovers barely dented into. There’s a limit to how much a person can have the same microwaved turkey and mashed potatoes for dinner. Thankfully, there are a few ways you can recycle your leftovers other than nuking it in a microwave. Our suggestion? Wrap your leftovers in some lumpia wrapper and bake it.
Locally, the ingredient is grossly under-appreciated. Only a few dishes use the lumpia wrapper, and each permutation is heavily influenced by the Asian spring roll. From the ever-present party favorite lumpiang shanghai to the vegetarian-friendly lumpiang togue, the wrapper doesn’t get much action in local fare—until now.
When baked, the lumpia acts as a great substitute to the puff pastry typically used in strudels. Similar to the thin, almost-translucent dough, the local wrapper crisps up and easily breaks into the rich filling at the slightest touch—creating a delicate pastry that doesn’t take extensive baking knowledge to master.
In this recipe, we use a mixture of turkey, cranberry jam, and brie—usual remnants of a holiday feast. Individually, each stand up well in other dishes, but together in our strudel the ingredients combine well for a downright decent recycled dish. Now, quit nuking your leftovers and bake yourself a strudel.
Turkey, Cranberry, and Brie Lumpia Strudel
Yield: 2 strudels
Time: 45 minutes
- ¼ cup spinach, cooked and chopped
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup turkey, pulled
- 6 slices brie
- 2 tbsp cranberry jam
- pepper, freshly cracked and to taste
- salt, to taste
- 8 pcs lumpia wrapper
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
- Mix spinach and cream cheese together in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lay out a lumpia wrapper on a chopping board and brush with butter. Place another wrapper to the right of it making sure that they are both overlapping each other. Brush with butter again. Top with one more layer of 2 lumpia wrappers and butter again. Each strudel should have 4 wrappers.
- Spread spinach cheese mixture across middle of buttered wrappers, followed by a tablespoon of cranberry jam, half the shredded turkey and 3 slices of brie. Tuck in the ends and roll like a giant lumpia. Place on a buttered tray.
- Repeat step with remaining wrappers and ingredients.
- Bake in oven till golden brown 7–10 minutes.