Cook This: Deep-Fry Your Durian for an Ultra-Creamy TreatFebruary 26, 2017
On the list of highly divisive things of the era: the recent DENR mining ban, Lena Dunham, and durian—the spiky so-called “King of Fruits” native to Southeast Asia. While it has its own share of fanatics, haters understandably shun it for its potent, putrid stench (described by journalist Richard Sterling as “pig shit, turpentine and onions garnished with a dirty gym sock”—yowza). But there’s more to the durian than just the stink. Go past the pungency and you’ll find the reward: a distinctive creaminess that gives the fruit a marvelous custard-y character. Needless to say, durian is one indulgent fruit even on its own. But imagine it gone warm, hugged by a golden brown batter.
Here, we make the most of durian’s natural creaminess by giving it arguably the best cooking treatment known to mankind: deep-frying. We pre-freeze the durian to make it easier to hold its shape as it is rolled into flour, dipped in batter, and allowed to crisp up in hot oil. The result is astounding—underneath its light, crisp blanket, the durian flesh becomes a molten affair that oozes at the slightest of pokes and erupts with its velvety mouthfeel once it hits the tongue. From our observation, cooking the durian also tones down the pungency—making this a great stepping stone for the queasy to fully appreciating the fruit. If you need any more convincing to get past your durian apprehension, consider this deep-fried treat—plus a scoop of ice cream on the side (just because it never hurt anyone).
Yield: 8 fritters
TIME: 4 hours 20 mins ( 4 hours freezing / 20 minutes cooking )
- 4 durian segments
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, yolk and white separated
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
ingredients: To finish
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 liter canola oil
- powdered sugar
- macapuno ice cream
- Remove meat from seeds. (Each pod should have enough meat for 2 fritters.)
- Lay meat on nonstick paper, separated in individual portions. Place in freezer to freeze until solid.
- In a bowl, mix together sugar, all-purpose and rice flours, salt, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine vanilla extract, milk, egg yolk and melted butter and mix until homogenous.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites to soft peaks.
- Fold the flour mixture into the milk mixture and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the whisked egg whites.
Procedure: for Frying
- Pour in just enough oil in pot to come up halfway, and heat pot.
- Take frozen durian portions from the freezer and toss in flour.
- Test oil by sprinkling a bit of flour in it; the oil should bubble violently.
- Dip each durian portion in batter and carefully lower into oil. Deep-fry until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and pat with paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve on plate with a scoop of macapuno ice cream. Garnish with powdered sugar and drizzle with honey.