Christmas Cookie Cocktail Series: Gingerbread WhiskeyDecember 22, 2012
- Mikka WeeWords
When it comes to holiday spirits, Whiskey is a common sight on the drinking table. Whiskey in the Gaelic dialect means water, and the Irish refer to it as the “water of life”. Made primarily from fermented grain mash, this fine liquor holds a bold, oaky flavor thanks to the wooden casks it was aged in.
Gingerbread, on the other hand, is a spiced cookie that parallels whiskey in terms of its historical existence. Using ginger and honey, this sweet biscuit has been a fond reference to a runaway man-shaped cookie that gets eaten by a fox. The same cookie-man has also played a significant role in everyone’s favorite ogre-movie, Shrek.
Now there’s no such thing as live gingerbread men, but you can bring these cookies to life with this Christmas cocktail recipe. The strong taste of the ginger adds a delightful spiced flavor to the whiskey, changing the whole dynamic between cookies and liquor altogether.
Have this drink with some freshly roasted chestnuts, turn up those jazzy holiday tunes, and you’re for in a relaxing evening filled with good vibes and holiday cheer.
Christmas Cookie Cocktail Series: Gingerbread Whiskey
Total Time: 45 minutes / Yield: 1-2 servings
Ingredients for the Gingerbread Whiskey
- 2 pcs. gingerbread cookies, cut into desired shape (see below for gingerbread cookie recipe)
- 3 shots whiskey
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 packs instant salabat (ginger tea) drink mix
- 300 ml water
- 1 cup ice
Ingredients for the Gingerbread Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 1 pc egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Procedure for the Gingerbread Cookies
- Preheat oven at 350 F. Mix butter and sugar in a bowl. Add molasses and egg.
- In a separate bowl. Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Add the flour mixture in the butter mixture until well combined. Do not over mix.
- Cover with a plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Scoop 3cm balls on a baking sheet and slightly flatten using your fingers.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Procedure for the Gingerbread Whiskey
- Dilute salabat powder in water.
- Put in shaker and add whiskey, lime, and ice.
- Shake well.
- Pour into cups.
- Garnish with cookies then serve.