We Hacked Our Favorite Chinese-Style Fried Chicken from Chowking!April 29, 2015
My first encounter with Chinese food was Chowking. In my childhood, ‘Chinese’ was synonymous with ‘that fat fellow in red’, who for some reason has slowly disappeared from the brand. I grew up, I tasted real dimsum, and I was happy. Then suddenly, Chowking revamped their chicken. Before it was this unassuming piece of poultry that was overshadowed by their tokwa’t baboy, now it’s the Chinese-style fried chicken, and it’s really good.
The Chinese-style fried chicken’s skin is light and crisp, and at first glance, looks nothing special. Then you bite into it. Then your tongue is showered by flavor. Then you fall in love. Chowking’s Chinese-style chicken is powerful and aggressive in your mouth, as the juices flow onto your tongue like waves of sodium and grease that almost tastes like hypertension. It’s juicy, flavorful and, somewhat, overpowering—our perfect example of good food.
Like the Chowking Chinese-style fried chicken, the batter is light and flavor, then you end with what really makes it Chinese— the flavorful meat. We think that, to some extent, it could be better than the original, but you be the judge.
Chowking Chicken Food Hack
Total Time: Overnight plus 25 minutes
Yield: 5 servings
Ingredients: Chicken Marinade
- 1 kg chicken drumsticks
- 1 tsp chicken powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp custard powder
- 1/8 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- Marinate the chicken drumsticks in chicken powder, salt, garlic powder, custard powder, five spice powder and oyster sauce.
- Leave in the fridge overnight.
Ingredients and Procedure: Chicken Batter
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 – 1 and 1/2 cups cold water
- Whisk together all ingredients, keep cold.
Ingredients: Dredging, Frying, and Serving
- rice flour, for dredging
- egg rice or plain rice, to serve
- kropeck, to serve
- oil, for frying
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly dredge chicken drumsticks with rice flour.
- Coat with batter and deep fry for 7-9 minutes or until cooked through.
- Repeat with the rest of the chicken, fry in batches.
- Drain in paper towels and serve with rice and kropeck.