Chorizo & Egg Salad: When a Binondo Cook does Salad
If you don’t frequent dingy Chinese restaurants and instinctively order Yang Chow fried rice, chances are, you haven’t seen a whole Chinese chorizo.
For the old Chinese, this little sausage is their bacon—fatty, cured, and food-colored red. Not surprisingly, like bacon, it mixes pretty well with greens and eggs.
The greatest thing about this dish is that your sauce is basically the oil that comes out from pan-frying the sausages and the yolk you juice out from breaking that egg.
Being a sucker for sausages and eggs, I could’ve finished this dish in a few seconds. But just to have some oomph, we wanted to have a nice messy shot to show the scene.
Salad level: Asian.
Warm Salad with Poached Egg and Chinese Chorizo
Before serving, slightly slit the poached egg open until the yolk spills out. Use any greens of your choice but the leafy ones works best for this recipe (ex. like fricassee, arugula and baby spinach leaves). When poaching, use the freshest egg you can find. Cooking time should not exceed 3 minutes if you want a perfect poached egg.
- 3 cups fricassee lettuce
- 1 pc Chinese chorizo
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- A pinch of salt
- 2 pcs whole egg
- 1 tbsp vinegar
Procedure for Salad
- Wash and dry greens very well.
- Divide into two plates. Set aside in chiller until ready to serve.
- Boil 3 inch deep water in a sauce pan. Add vinegar. When it starts to boil, lower down flame and just let the water simmer.
- Crack egg in separate bowls, make sure not to break the yolk.
- With a slotted spoon, mix the water round and round for 20 seconds, or until the water swirls by itself.
- While the water is swirling, gently pour the egg in the middle. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the egg white is firm.
- Drain with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate.
Procedure for Dressing
- Slice the chorizo into cubes.
- In a pan, heat olive oil and sauté chorizo until browned.
- Deglaze pan with water, season with salt, and add in honey. Mix well.
- When ready, turn off fire and pour over the 2 salad plates.
- Top with poached egg and serve immediately.