Chicken Inasal Crepes with Buttered Peas and Quail Eggs: Who Said Crepes are Only for Dessert?July 22, 2013
- Mikka WeeWords
Repeatedly waiting in line for so long at a buffet’s crepe station has made us realize one thing: most people associate these French–style pancakes with something sweet rather than with something savory.
Chicken Inasal is known to be one of the “healthier” chicken dishes around (unless you drown it in chicken oil sauce). When cooked right, it’s a treat to dig into. Its smoked flavor (combined with the various herbs and flavorings used) is well suited for the Filipino palate. It’s no surprise that Inasal restaurants here are popular year round.
Since we’re a bit tired of having to pair crepes with the traditional sweet stuff, we decided to use Chicken Inasal instead. We also threw in some green peas and quail eggs to add more color and texture, giving the dish a lot of character and originality.
Like Bounty Fresh on Facebook and follow Bounty Fresh on Twitter and on Instagram. Check out more of Bounty Fresh’s recipes in their Chicken Dish Collection.
Chicken Inasal Crepes with Buttered Peas and Quail Eggs
Total Time: 90 minutes / Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients for the Chicken Inasal
- ½ kilo Bounty Fresh chicken pieces, skin removed and set aside
- 2 stalks lemongrass, rinsed and minced
- 1/2 cup native vinegar (Sinamak)
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 3-inch ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorn
- 3 teaspoons annatto powder, divided
- Salt, to season
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- A dozen quail eggs, soft boiled, peeled and halved
Ingredients for the Crepes
- 8 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine lemongrass, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and black peppercorn. Mix well.
- Add chicken meat to marinade, cover, and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry and season with 2 teaspoons annatto powder and salt. Grill until cooked all the way through. Set aside. When cool to the touch, pick off meat and discard bones.
- In a saucepan, place butter and 1 teaspoon annatto powder. Add flour and stir to combine. Gently pour in milk and stir until thick. Add chicken meat and thawed green peas. Set aside.
- To make the crepe, combine milk and flour in a bowl. Mix until there are no visible lumps. Add egg and butter. Stir until combined. Using a measuring cup, pour 1/4 cup on a buttered shallow pan and cook for a minute on each side.
- Place chicken mixture and quail egg inside each crepe and fold. Serve.