Have you ever had a toothache or singaw (cold sore) so bad that all you could do was take liquids while contemptuously watching others enjoy their meal? You can stop with the death stares now. This cheesy tomato soup is just like having a drinkable version of pizza, and you don’t even need a spoon. Simply rip small pieces from the bread bowl, scoop or soak up some soup with the bread, and eat.
Cheesy Tomato Soup
Total Time: 45 minutes / Yield: 2-3 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup red onions, sliced
- 1 big can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock or water
- 1 pc beef bouillon cube
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp basil chiffonade
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 slices gouda cheese
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 2 bread bowls
- Olive oil, for brushing
- More basil, for garnish
- Cut top part of bread bowl and scoop out white bread inside to make a bowl. Brush with olive oil and toast in an oven or toaster for 3 minutes. Cool and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in pot over medium heat. Sauté garlic and onions for 2-3 minutes or until cooked but not browned.
- Add crushed tomatoes, beef stock and beef cube. Add in sugar and some pepper, and boil for 3 minutes. Season to taste.
- Add in basil and mozzarella cheese, stir for 1 minute and turn off fire.
- Scoop soup into bread bowl. Top with 1 slice gouda cheese and 1/2 tbsp of parmesan.
- Broil in the oven until cheese melts. Serve immediately.