A Post-Christmas Breakfast Using Your Leftover Cake: Cheesecake Pancakes with Dulce de Leche SauceDecember 26, 2012
- Mikka WeeWords
Christmas is over, and it’s back to the daily grind for most of us. So let’s start this day on a positive note, and gorge on a stack of these fluffy Cheesecake Pancakes with thick Dulce de Leche Sauce!
Crumbled cheesecake is a lovely addition to pancakes because of the tartness and texture it provides. We recommend that you crumble or dice your cheesecake into uneven portions so that they are easily scattered throughout your pancakes. Plus, won’t it be a pleasant surprise to bite into huge chunks of cheesecake every once in a while?
For this recipe, we used a leftover slice of New York Cheesecake, but you can also use Chicago Style or the Old-Fashioned variety. The plain and simple kinds work best because you don’t want to overwhelm yourself with the richness of the Dulce de Leche. It already contains just the right amount of sweetness to balance the tangy flavor of the cheesecake pancakes.
Preparing Dulce de Leche from scratch is simple, but it costs a good amount of time. It’s the kind of thing you make a day ahead if you plan to have it for breakfast tomorrow morning. Dulce de Leche is also very versatile. Aside from using it as a dessert or pancake topping, drizzle it in your morning cup of coffee to thicken it and give it an extra caramel-like taste. Pour it over some plain toast, your hot chocolate, or your garlic rice (just kidding) and you’re good to go.
Cheesecake Pancakes with Dulce de Leche
Total Time: 150 minutes / Yield: 1-2 servings
Ingredients for the Cheesecake Pancakes
- 1 200g box instant pancake mix
- 1 slice plain cheesecake, frozen & chopped into cubes
- Dulce de leche (recipe below)
- Fresh strawberries (for garnish)
Ingredients for the Dulce de Leche
- 1 354 ml can of condensed milk
Procedure for the Dulce de Leche
- Punch two holes in the can of condensed milk to prevent it from exploding.
- Boil the water and wait for it to simmer (low to medium heat).
- Place condensed milk can in hot water for 2 hours.
- Cool and open.
Procedure for the Cheesecake Pancakes
- Prepare pancake mix as directed in package.
- Fold in chopped cheesecake.
- Cook pancakes one at a time in a nonstick pan greased with some oil.
- Repeat for the rest.
- Serve with drizzled dulce de leche.