Veggie’s Revenge: Asparagus Fries with Curry-Mayo DipOctober 23, 2018
- Mikka WeeWords
Veggie’s Revenge will make you want to eat your vegetables every single time (and lick the plate clean afterwards, too). In this column, we’ll prepare evil vegetarian dishes that are not advisable to cook if you are planning to lose weight. Here in Veggie’s Revenge, we give greens a bad name.
Asparagus is probably one of the easiest vegetables to deep-fry. We coated ours with tempura batter to add extra crunch and another layer of flavor.
Since we basically want to corrupt these once-healthy greens and turn them into delicious evil (with no thought for their perceived nutritional values), we’re pairing them with an equally devilish concoction of curry and Japanese mayonnaise.
The result? A wicked platter of Asparagus Fries that contain more calories than KFC chicken. The zing of the curry paired with the rich, eggy mayonnaise on top of a freshly-fried asparagus will make you want to choose these over fastfood french fries every single time. A squeeze of lemon juice cuts through the richness, preventing that umay factor most of us experience when it comes to eating deep-fried things and creamy dips.
Asparagus Fries with Curry-Mayo Dip
Total Time: 30 minutes / Yield: 2 servings
Ingredients for the Asparagus Fries
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 box tempura batter
- Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
Ingredients for the Curry-Mayonnaise Dip
- 1 box instant Japanese curry
- 3 tbsp. Japanese mayonnaise
- Splash of fresh lemon juice
Procedure for the Asparagus Fries
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep-fryer until it starts to boil.
- As the oil is heating, rinse the asparagus and chop off the end tips. Rinse dry.
- Prepare the tempura batter as indicated on the box.
- Once the vegetable oil reaches a boil, dip the asparagus into the tempura batter and deep-fry.
- You’ll know the asparagus fries are ready and cooked when they float in the oil (this takes around 1-2 minutes).
- Set aside the deep-fried asaparagus on a plate with paper towels to drain the excess oil.
Procedure for the Curry-Mayonnaise Dip
- Use one packet of curry and prepare according to the directions on the box.
- Spoon over 3 tablespoons of the prepared curry sauce onto the Japanese mayonnaise and stir until there are no more lumps.
- Add a splash of lemon juice.
- Set aside in the fridge until ready to consume.
Originally posted 2013-06-03 04:09:53.