Add a Few Secret Ingredients To Make Your Chicken Taste Like Mang InasalDecember 1, 2017
Mang Inasal is one of the nation’s biggest and most popular chains, thanks to their take on the Negrense specialty. While the Negrense inasal is more orange in color, and has more predominant notes of citrus and sourness, Mang Inasal’s chicken is a different beast altogether. It is a little darker in color, and sweeter in taste than traditional recipes. We’ve cracked their secret, as their version embraces the taste of both Filipino barbeque and the more sour inasal.
It’s the addition of Knorr liquid seasoning that tunes up the inkyness of the meat after a night of marination. When the Knorr mixes with the sugar, it creates a dark, sweet, caramelized coating that creates prominent lines when it hits the grill.
This recipe turns out a product that’s similar to what they serve in store. When truly marinated and grilled properly, you’ll be tempted to keep this dish in your weekly cooking repertoire–it’s that good.
Mang Inasal Chicken Inasal Food Hack
Total Time: Overnight plus 45 minutes</span
Yield: 2-4 servings
Ingredients: Chicken Marinade
- 4 pcs whole chicken leg (about 1 pound)
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut
- 1/3 cup cane vinegar
- 3 tbsp. calamansi juice
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp. Knorr Liquid Seasoning
Procedure: Chicken Marinade
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken and marinate overnight.
- ½ cup oil
- 2 tbsp. annatto seeds
- Heat oil in a saucepan with annatto seeds until colored. Strain the oil and set aside.
- Drain chicken legs from marinade and set aside.
- Over a grill on medium-high heat, grill the chicken legs, basting with the flavored oil until cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with atchara and rice.