When you’re an unrestrained, 8-year old kid faced with a choice of Clover Chips, Ice Cream, Chicken Joy, and a plate of Steamed Pechay, it isn’t hard to guess which dish is gonna be left untouched.
Veggies are kinda boring; and no matter how much grown-ups (Hi, Mum) insist on how healthy and nutritious and blahdiblah they are, it seldom works. Even when a reward is at stake, kids will always find a way to get rid of them—and fast.
Let’s not forget those childish schemes that you’d secretly do—feed chunks of carrots to the dogs, bribe siblings to eat your share of the bitter gourd, or go the extra mile to “accidentally” push your plate off the table?
Tsk tsk, shame on you.
Now that we’ve grown up (but are still a little whack-o), we came up with 3 simple steps on how to dispose of your veggies in a flash without breaking yo momma’s heart.
- Spread veggies on cheese-layered tortilla.
- Bake until the cheese gets all ooey gooey and melty. (Note: Salivation + drool is imminent at this point).
- Consume with overflowing glee!
- Add satisfying burp if necessary.
In this case, we used Laing, a well-loved Bicolano dish. Not surprisingly, this simple combination of gabi leaves simmered in coconut milk makes some damn good pizza topping that can give fried food a run for its money.
One day, when you become a parent, you’ll regret your blatant refusal to eat your daily vegetables as a destructive little monster because your kid will do the same to you. Enter Laing Pizza.
Yield: 4 pizzas
Ingredients for the Laing Pizza
- 1 cup Laing (see recipe below)
- 4 pcs large tortilla
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 4 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 4 tbsp roasted garlic (see procedure below)
- Olive oil
Ingredients for the Laing
- 60 grams dried Gabi leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger strips
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups 2nd extract from coconut (coconut milk)
- 1 cup first extract (coconut cream)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp bagoong
- 1 pc pork cube
- 4 pcs green finger chili
Procedure for Laing
- Boil coconut milk in a pan with ginger, garlic, Gabi leaves and bagoong.
- Add pork cube and salt. Boil for 25 minutes.
- Add in chili and boil for another 5-10 minutes or until Gabi leaves are tender.
- Check seasonings.
- Set aside.
Procedure for Roasting Garlic
- Cut top part of garlic bulb.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put one tortilla on a baking sheet.
- Scatter 1/4 cup Laing, 1 tbsp roasted garlic.
- Then sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella and 1 tbsp Parmesan.
- Drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until cheese has melted and browned a little.
- Repeat for the rest of the tortilla.
- Slice into 8 and serve immediately.
- You can also use store bought Laing to simplify and speed up the process.